Discover the Amazing Benefits of Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 is essential in maintaining our overall health. It is involved in nervous system functioning (including brain functioning) as well as circulatory system functioning and the production of red blood cells. Given its overwhelming importance, it is often deemed an “essential nutrient.” Read the following common questions and list of benefits below.
What if I Don’t Get Enough Vitamin B12?
Unfortunately, it’s common for some to develop a vitamin B12 deficiency. Smokers and heavy drinkers, as well as pregnant or nursing women, vegetarians, vegans, and the elderly are among those who typically need to supplement vitamin B12. Everyone can benefit from B12 supplements, however.
The symptoms of a Vitamin B12 deficiency include fatigue, depression, memory loss, weakness, difficulty walking, diarrhea or constipation, and rapid heartbeat and breathing.
Where is Vitamin B12 Found?
Most all of us consume adequate amounts of Vitamin B12 through our diet, as it is found in meat, fish and dairy. Strict vegetarians or those who do not ingest animal products would be at risk for deficiency. Individuals with digestive disorders that may interfere with absorption and digestion of food (such as Crohn’s disease) should consider Vitamin B12 supplements.
What Type of Supplement Should I Use?
Like other vitamin supplements, vitamin B12 can be found in solo doses or in conjunction with other nutrients.
Vitamin B12 comes in several forms of supplementation, including oral pills, sublingual patches, and injections. While the idea of routine injections isn’t all that popular, this form of supplementation is best. Doctors agree that vitamin B12 injections provide the most thorough dosage. Too much of the nutrient is lost during the absorption process of other methods.
Why Should I take Vitamin B12 Injections?
The benefits of Vitamin B12 injections are numerous.
- People who have had surgery on their stomach or small intestines, or had them removed altogether, find that vitamin B12 combats the negative side effects.
- Atrophic Gastritis causes the stomach lining to thin. This condition affects more than a quarter of the older population. Vitamin B12 can help combat this disorder.
- Vitamin B12 helps facilitate digestion for patients with maladies like celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, excessive bacteria, or intestinal parasites.
- If acid-reducing drugs are used repeatedly and continuously, you will benefit from vitamin B12.
- Strict vegetarians and vegans who do not eat animal products can easily get their required Vitamin B12 doses via injection.
- While the reason is still unclear, research shows patients with long-term health issues can find a reprieve with vitamin B12. These conditions include, but are not limited to:
- Muscular degeneration
- Lou Gehrig’s disease
- Alcoholics or those who drink excessive amounts of alcohol find that vitamin B12 helps with common side effects of alcohol abuse.
- Vitamin B12 is believed by some health professionals to aid in the prevention of diseases that affect the kidney, gum, and liver.
- Male infertility is sometimes overcome with the help of Vitamin B12.
- Vitamin B12 injections help regulate your circadian rhythms (internal biological clock) and can help you sleep better.
- When combined with a healthy diet and adequate exercise, Vitamin B12 injections help people lose weight.
- Vitamin B12 can help reduce the risk of heart disease. An increased level of B12 vitamins translated to lower levels of homocysteine. This is a good thing since homocysteine impedes the development of the arteries!
- Reducing the levels of homocysteine also contributes to a reduced risk of stroke.
- When used in combination with vitamin B6 and folic acid, B12 has been shown to lower the risk of schizophrenia and Alzheimer’s disease.
Vitamin B12 and its benefits are abundant. Talk to your doctor or nutritionist about vitamin B12 injections, and witness the rewards first-hand.
If you already take a vitamin B12 supplement, comment to tell us about your experience. We’d love to hear all the amazing ways it’s helped you!